How decorative wet gardens are created
A pool, a pond, a stream and just water are a welcome place in any garden area. Natural stones, rollers from ground cover plants - an expensive and elegant frame for the sides of reservoirs. The pool can be the only and main object of the garden, the center of a large composition.
Plants such as irises, bergenia, nymphea, and moisture-loving roses play an invaluable role in decorating wet areas and corners. A water mirror always organically fits into the surrounding nature, creates harmony and beauty, revives the garden. In this article, we will consider the design of only natural reservoirs.
The area around the natural reservoir is almost always wet and swampy. Typical moisture-loving, near-water plants are planted here. If you install a bench among them, a gazebo entwined with climbing plants, you can create a magnificent corner for relaxation. In the event that the reservoir is located at the edge of the site, the atmosphere of the garden will revive the fence in the form of excellent arches, braided by climbing clematis, honeysuckle, hops, wild grapes, sweet peas, morning glory, nasturtium, echinocystis or other plants.
To decorate this humid corner, you can plant long-flowering perennials, ornamental shrubs - buldenezh, hydrangea, spirea, rose hips. Instead of arches, there can be a picket fence, which gives the garden a rustic charm. Completion of the design is given by the bushes of viburnum, chubushnik, maple, privet, bladderwort, and Potentilla planted next to the fence.
The area around the reservoir can be divided into three zones according to the degree of humidity.
- Actually a reservoir of various depths, shallow water zone, depth 10-40 cm, waterlogged area near the water.
- Wet area at some distance from water.
- Dry shore with normal garden soil for woody and herbaceous perennials.
It is necessary to provide for the place and direction of the footpath, convenient for approaching the reservoir and for caring for plants.
This amazing place requires intelligent selection of plants that thrive in humid conditions.
If the reservoir is not flowing, then aquatic plants in pots and baskets are usually grown in it. But about this - in a special article.
Swamp roses (Rosa Palustris) feel great on the shore of the reservoir, in moist soil, they form excellent arches. The pool mirror reflects the beautiful forms of plants, gently falling branches and flowers. Marsh roses bloom for six weeks, exuding a fragrant aroma. Nearby, yellow or intensely orange cannes flowers with large leaves are good.
If there is a stream on the site where water flows among the stones, we observe jets of water, reflections of a waterfall. The assortment of plants in the coastal zone, where the thickness of the water layer can be up to 5 cm, includes marsh iris, monkey loosestrife, marigold, swimsuit, ostrich and others. Aruncus, Buzulnik, Rogersia, rhubarb, primroses, ferns are planted further from the coast. Hostas of different color of leaves are beautiful in a humid place.
The selection of plants with different flowering periods will provide a bright color for the flower garden. The most interesting are the plants reflected in the mirror of the reservoir: marsh calla, meadowsweet, filipendula, daylily (hemerocalis), tame gravilat, cyanosis (polymonium), meadow geranium. Blooming astilbe, loosestrife, Siberian irises, and Rogers, reflected in the water, are a beautiful sight.
Planting plants in the next zone, in principle, completes the design of the basin zone.
Every spring, bright golden-yellow flowers of the marigold appear, followed by primroses - primroses, arizema. Every summer Siberian and marsh irises, marsh calla lilies next to Rogersia, ferns and rhubarb create a unique and wonderful view.
Plants in damp areas of the garden require a lot of maintenance. During the growing season, it is necessary to monitor the constant soil moisture. In dry times, when the soil dries up, the plants need to be watered abundantly.
Carefully thought-out composition and selection of plants around the reservoir will ensure their flowering from early spring to late autumn.
I offer one of the design options for the wet shores of the reservoir (see diagram). All flowers are suitable for planting in damp places.
1. Marsh irises. Roy Davidson variety. They have powerful roots and rhizomes. Slightly branched stems 70-80 cm high bear 12-15 flowers. The lower petals are golden yellow with a large orange spot. The color of the leaves ranges from dull green to intensely gray. The plant is purely coastal, but can withstand prolonged flooding. The foliage of marsh irises is not damaged by thrips. Pre-winter shelter required. They have been growing without transplantation and special care for decades. Shade-tolerant.
2. Monet loam - meadow tea. A groundcover that densely covers the ground in damp places, drowning out weeds. In summer, it blooms with yellow flowers.
3. Rogersia is a spring ephemeroid. It has large dissected leaves and delicate panicles of tiny flowers. Loves soil rich in organic material. In autumn it is cut close to the ground.
4. Gravilat (Geum) - up to 60 cm high with red crimson or orange flowers. Bloom in May-June.
5. Marsh roses. Fragrant dark pink double glittering flowers. Provides longer flowering times than most other types of roses. Flowers up to 5 cm in diameter acquire an orange-red color by the end of summer and persist until late autumn. Leaves are medium to dark green in summer, changing to dark red in autumn. Branched, long and graceful branches form powerful shrubs. Used for mass plantings. They grow in partial shade. The soil must be enriched with organic material. It adapts both in wet, swampy conditions and in dry places. To preserve the lush bush, old branches should be removed. Grows easily. In late autumn or early spring, the bush should be cut close to the ground.
6. Hosts are low, such as Golden Tiara or Sun Power. The first grade has medium-sized olive-colored leaves with a yellow border. In the second, the leaves are elongated, lanceolate in the early spring, at first green, then turn yellow and finally become egg-yellow.
7. Cannes. Perennial large-flowered plants. Tuberous rhizomes to be dug up annually and stored in a basement at low temperatures. The leaves are large, green or striped - up to 60 cm long and up to 35 wide. The flowers are large, asymmetrical, collected in paniculate inflorescences of red, yellow or salmon-orange color.
8. Bathers - rhizome perennials up to 1 m high. Leaves are palmate-split or palmate-lobed. The flowers are large and consist of five to twenty petal sepals, yellow or orange. Requires a semi-shaded area with sufficiently moist, fertilized soils.
9. Kaluzhnitsa (Kalta) with shiny golden yellow simple or double flowers. Blooms in May.
10. Moisture-loving ferns. Unpretentious. The leafy leaves are graceful, of various shapes and sizes.
11. Aruncus is a luxurious perennial for the background of the pool shores. It blooms in large fluffy inflorescences up to 60 cm long. The inflorescences consist of many tiny white or cream flowers. Before winter, it should be cut at a distance of 5-10 cm from the ground.
The assortment of moisture-loving plants is wide enough. Everyone can choose them for himself according to his taste and possibilities. The best success will be if zoned plant varieties are used. They take root more easily, grow faster and more elegantly.
T. Barkhatova, florist
The sequence of work when constructing a reservoir
When choosing any option for organizing a water reservoir on a land plot, it is necessary to clearly and consistently observe the general stages of work in order to avoid further unnecessary adjustments and alterations. This process will have several stages in stages.
Contouring with a hose
All stages are performed in different ways, depending on which version of the artificial reservoir is chosen. It is worth understanding the creation of a reservoir of each type.
Types and their features
Depending on the purpose of the installation, the shape of the container is selected. Plastic pond bowls are often irregular in width, depth and length. The most popular is a figure-eight curved in the middle with cascading edges. It is convenient to arrange plants in such a container, resorting to the classic decoration with stones at the edges.
Inexpensive plastic ponds for summer cottages can be created using one of 3 types of containers:
- Polyethylene. A budget option for the smallest forms, it will last up to 10 years. The disadvantage is the possibility of cracking from bends and the requirement for leveling the bottom during installation.
- Polypropylene. The material is more durable, therefore, the performance characteristics are better - up to two decades of service. Suitable for the arrangement of medium-sized reservoirs.
- Fiberglass (fiberglass). The largest and most durable ones will last up to 30 years, provided they are properly installed. Such containers are often used as pools, as well as artificial lakes.
Multilevel structures are also used for fish breeding, but the depth of the bowl should be more impressive if breeding large river species is planned. On a small area, a round or oval pond looks harmoniously. And rectangular and square shapes are used in cases where the reservoir will be used for bathing people. Due to the specifics of the design, the sizes of plastic ponds are indicated by the largest unit. For example, if the container is narrow on one side, then the width is measured from the opposite depth - at the lowest point of the bottom.
It will not be difficult to buy a plastic pond for a summer residence. The main thing is to understand exactly what size, volume and service life is needed. The main producers in this segment are German, local and Chinese companies. The former are the most expensive, the latter are the least quality. And our manufacturers are deservedly popular due to their understanding of climatic conditions and the correct coefficient of relevance in terms of the volume of the product and the thickness of its walls.
Bright design of an artificial reservoir
An artificial reservoir, which can be built without much effort, will become a wonderful decoration for any garden. An artificial pond can be made from various materials:
- Concrete reservoir. Quite costly material that requires special skills. But, such a design is quite durable and can be used for a long time.
- Using plastic molds. The ready-made molds made of PVC or fiberglass are quick and easy to install. The service life of such a pond ranges from 5 to 30 years, depending on the quality.
- Film. You can use the cheapest polyethylene, but it will not last long, butyl rubber, PVC film or old advertising banners. Each material has its own service life, usually not exceeding 10 years, except for butyl rubber. It is able to withstand repeated freezing and can last up to 50 years.
- Ponds from the old bath. If you are smart, then this container will be the perfect solution for an artificial pond: it can simply be painted in bright colors or deepened into the ground to bring it closer to a natural reservoir.
- Ponds made of basins and car tires look approximately equally attractive and neat. They can be dug into the ground or placed on its surface, creating a decorative finish.
- An interesting idea is an artificial reservoir made of plastic bottles. Such a pond is suitable for those who want to decorate the site, but prevent mosquitoes from breeding. After all, this is a completely decorative structure without the use of water.
In order for the pond to have exquisite decorative properties, it should be beautifully refined. To decorate the banks, stones of various sizes can be used, arranging them in a chaotic or strict order. The islands in the middle of the reservoir, which are often decorated with plants and decorative figurines, also look spectacular. The bottom can be smeared with pebbles or colored pebbles, and floating plants can be placed in the water. Various fountains, waterfalls or streams, which can also be built with your own hands, are very popular today.
Water in the garden is essential: she is both a hard worker and an unsurpassed beauty. Even a small body of water lowers the temperature and increases the humidity in the area, its contents can be used for irrigation. But in order for the reservoir to become a decoration of the garden, you will have to work hard.
All decorative reservoirs are divided into two large groups:
- When creating some, artificial waterproofing materials are used: plastic troughs or a special film - PVC, rubber. The bottom of the reservoir is lined with it so that the water does not go away.
- When creating reservoirs, no other type of artificial materials is required. But specialists are needed to carry out complex hydraulic engineering calculations and actually implement the idea.
Ponds are built either on clay soils or using natural waterproofing materials - the so-called clay castles. A decorative reservoir is, albeit an artificial, but a biological system. Therefore, speaking about its optimal size, it is necessary to remember the natural-scientific postulate: the larger the system, the more stable it is. A small frog pond will grow incomparably faster than a large lake. It is not so much the area of the reservoir that is important, but the volume of the water contained in it. It is this value that is decisive for all technical calculations, it is it that interests people who supply filters, pumps and other equipment. After all, the depth of the reservoirs located in the garden can be very different. It depends on your goals. If you are going to breed fish in a pond, then its depth should be at least 2 meters. And if you only need a mirror of water, then 10-15 cm will be enough.
Digging a hole and filling it with water according to all the rules is just the beginning. Now we need to work on the pond. If you wish, you can make the water move by placing a pump in the depths and arranging a fountain. But in no case should you forget about the design of the coastline. Moreover, here a truly unprecedented scope is provided to the design imagination. You can use stones, gravel, wood and all kinds of plants that are typical for natural reservoirs. As a rule, a slide is formed next to the pond from the soil remaining after it was excavated. It can be turned into a rockery, an alpine slide, you can even arrange a small waterfall on it.
If you want to visually increase the depth of the reservoir, plant it with trees or shrubs. The water will become darker, which means it will appear deeper. A body of water located in an open space gives the impression of being shallower.
There is an intention to visually increase the area of the reservoir - place a bench (gazebo, recreation area) where the width of its shore is minimal. When your gaze slides along the water surface, the pond appears larger - and vice versa.
If you do not have a very large area, it is logical to place the reservoir in its very center - so that it can be seen from everywhere. And if the garden is huge, we advise, on the contrary, to dig a pond somewhere on the periphery.Indeed, often the owners of large plots are simply not able to master them entirely. Everything you need is located near the house, and there will certainly be distant corners where there is simply no need to go. So let the pearl of your possessions be hidden there - a shady pond with goldfish (or without them).
Decorative ponds should not be placed in the sun (the water heats up too much and begins to bloom faster), as well as under the canopy of large trees (leaves fall into the water and not only do not contribute to the crystal purity of the water, but also rot). However, special equipment will help to cope with both problems.
Recently, the design of the suburban area has become especially relevant. Many summer residents do it with their own hands, using materials at hand. But when doing landscape design on your own, the main thing is not to overdo it with decorative elements. There is no need to strive to fit all fashionable novelties and interesting ideas in one area. It is necessary to try to make the territory look not only original, but also natural. Making a summer cottage with your own hands: landscape ideas, expert advice - we invite you to consider all this in this article.