Each summer resident himself chooses an acceptable way of growing seedlings. However, not all gardeners know that it is possible to simplify this process by using a regular plastic bottle and toilet paper.
For small seeds
This is a great way to grow strong and healthy seedlings. Moreover, it does not require large time and financial costs. There is no need to buy containers and soil. And still everything will do without dirt and watering. For work you need to prepare:
- planting material;
- plastic container;
- toilet paper;
- plastic bag.
The first step is to check the seeds for germination. To do this, you need to immerse them in water and add a little salt. Those grains that end up at the bottom are suitable for planting. They must be used for planting, after thoroughly drying them.
- It is necessary to cut the plastic bottles lengthwise. The result should be a kind of "boats".
- Place a toiletry item in each container. 7-8 layers will be enough.
- Thoroughly moisten this substrate with water from a spray bottle. Use only warm and settled liquid for this.
- Remove excess water by turning the container upside down. This will keep the wet paper in place.
- Put the planting material on a moistened bedding. For convenience, you can lightly press down with a spoon.
- Put polyethylene on the container and tie it. Thus, you will get a kind of greenhouse.
- Using this simple method, you can expect excellent results after 2-3 weeks.
It is not required to moisten the seedlings in a mini-greenhouse: the plants will have enough condensate dripping down. Seedlings will not grow in height, they will release several leaves, and only then the root system will begin to develop.
For large seeds
To germinate larger planting material, a similar method is used, only on the bottom of the cut container you need to lay a layer of husks from onions and garlic, sprinkle on top with a layer of earth and cover with toilet paper. Seeds must be placed on top of the prepared substrate. The husk is an excellent protection against pests, and the paper cover will maintain the moisture necessary for the sprouts. Seedlings grown in this way outstrip the plants cultivated in the traditional way in development and growth. The root system will be stronger and the seedlings will develop faster.
[Votes: 1 Average: 5]
Method of growing seedlings on toilet paper in a plastic bottle
Gardeners are quite observant and enterprising people. You can often hear about the emergence of new, outwardly simple and at the same time very effective methods that greatly simplify this or that area of dacha activity. Today we will touch upon one of such innovations - growing seedlings in plastic bottles on toilet paper.
The main advantages of the method:
- Plastic bottles are very compact, which means that containers with seedlings will take up a minimum of space in your apartment.
- No planting soil needed.
- The materials used are publicly available and practically free.
- The method is applicable for growing seedlings of various types of cultivated plants (cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants, pumpkins, marigolds, petunias, etc.).
So, all we need is toilet paper, plastic bottles, plastic bags, water and seeds themselves. Seeds must be properly prepared before planting.
Take a clean container, pour 1 liter of water into it and dilute 30 g of table salt in it. Place the seeds prepared for planting in this saline solution. Within 2-3 minutes after that, some seeds will float to the surface. They are not suitable for planting and should be thrown away! All seeds left at the bottom are suitable for germination.
Drain the saline solution, and carefully spread the seeds themselves on a clean sheet of paper (you can use the newspaper) and let them dry.
Everything is now ready for planting. Cut the plastic bottle lengthwise (lengthwise) into 2 equal halves. Line the bottom of each half with several layers of toilet paper and spray them with a spray bottle to keep them moist enough. Place the seeds carefully on a damp paper surface at a distance of 3 cm from each other. On top of the seeds, put another 1 layer of moistened toilet paper.
To create greenhouse conditions, half of the bottle is covered with plastic wrap. The entire structure is placed on a sunny windowsill.
Everything, then the process is completely similar to the standard one. In the process of picking, the sprouts are transplanted into individual pots with suitable soil.
© Ilya Vladimirovich | 2016-01-18
A container for planting seedlings, on which you will not spend a dime
Some gardeners spend a lot of money every spring on the purchase of containers for growing seedlings. But this money can be saved by making containers from improvised means. Plastic bottles or containers
To make a glass from a plastic bottle, it is enough to cut off its lower part to the desired height and make holes at the bottom. The top of the container can be used as a lid if necessary Before planting seedlings in a container, you just need to cut holes in it to release excess moisture and remove the lid. Milk or juice bags (tetra-pack)
A full 2 cups will come out of each Tetra Pak juice or dairy package. You just need to cut the bag in half. Such containers are very convenient, since they are strong, stable, and you can also write the name of the cultivated variety on them with a marker. Eggshell
If you break an egg, trying not to damage the shell too much, it will come in handy for growing plants. But such a container has too small a volume, so it is better to immediately sow seeds into it, so as not to suffer with transplantation. The resulting products are unstable, it is most convenient to place them in egg containers. In the future, the seedlings are planted in the ground along with an improvised container. The shell will serve as an additional fertilizer and will gradually rot. Toilet rolls
For growing seedlings, you can also adapt the remaining sleeves after using toilet paper. They are made from environmentally friendly materials, so the seedlings are subsequently planted in the ground directly in the cups. For the manufacture of containers, it is necessary to make 4 notches from the bottom of the sleeve at an equal distance from each other. Their length should be 1/3 of the total height of the future container. Further, the parts obtained after cutting are bent, forming the bottom. Newspaper cups
To make a container from a newspaper, you need a jar or bottle, the diameter of which corresponds to the required glass size. Such a blank must be wrapped in several layers of newspaper, and the lower part must be cut and formed into a bottom. Then the bottle is taken out and used again. The paper container is not very stable and disintegrates from exposure to moisture, so the cups should be placed in a high box close to each other and not watered too much. Cans
Seedlings can also be grown in cans. They must first be washed and holes drilled at the bottom. In order to get the plants when planting in the ground without damaging the roots, you need to put a circle made of cardboard or plastic on the bottom of the container. It can be pushed with a stick inserted into the hole at the bottom, then the seedlings will more easily come out of the glass.
2 method of growing pepper seedlings on toilet paper is somewhat different from the first, but it is also economical, simple, does not require effort and close attention from you.
You will need: toilet paper, seedling container, cling film.
Any capacity is suitable: you can use plastic containers in which semi-finished products or confectionery are packed, even a deep plate will do. The cheapest option is to use a plastic bottle. Cut it lengthwise, but not completely. This way you get a mini greenhouse with a finished top. The bottle must be transparent. When using other containers, the top will have to be tightened with cling film if they do not have a lid.
- Put several layers of toilet paper on the bottom of the container, moisten them.
- Sow pepper seeds, keeping the distance between them no more than 4 cm.Use tweezers for convenience.
- Tighten the container with plastic wrap, and the bottle can be placed in a bag and tied. Place the container on the windowsill or under the additional lighting lamps after the sprouts appear.
- After a week, the seeds will hatch and grow.
Experienced gardeners remove the protective film already 2 - 3 days after pecking the seeds so that the pepper seedlings are hardened. You can start the hardening process gradually: opening the containers for 1 - 2 hours, each time increasing the time, and then opening it completely.
Your task at this stage is to prevent the seeds from drying out. They must always be hydrated. Usually, there is enough moisture, since water evaporates, settles in the form of condensate, again moisturizes the seedlings.
As soon as the seedlings appear, you should fertilize them, since the nutrients that were in the seed have been spent, and there is not enough of them in the water.
Use humic fertilizers. They only need 2 drops per 250 g of water. First, prepare a solution with fertilizers, and then add them to the greenhouse, it is better to spray from a spray bottle.
The second feeding will be required when the cotyledon leaves appear, and the third one when a pair of true leaves appears.
At this stage, the pepper seedlings are ready for transplanting into the ground. Prepare seedling containers and soil. Separate the plant and transfer to a new growth site. The paper does not need to be completely separated from the roots, it will not interfere. You can cover the seedlings with glass or foil. Although this is usually not required if you have previously started the process of hardening pepper seedlings.
Further care of plants is exactly the same as for ordinary pepper seedlings.
How to grow seedlings in a landless way in a plastic bottle, see the video:
Growing tomato seedlings without land
With a lack of space for a large number of seedlings on window sills and balconies, an economical way of growing seedlings of vegetables and flowers in diapers has been invented, since it only needs plastic bags and a little soil. It gained particular popularity in the Moscow region, therefore it began to be called the Moscow method. This is also true in small apartments with narrow window sills.
Benefits of growing seedlings in diapers
Like any other growing method, this one has a number of disadvantages and advantages. The positive aspects of the snail method include:
- ease of planting seeds
- saving space
- small amount of soil
- ease of diving
- absence of diseases acquired from the ground (black leg)
- keeping the spine intact during a dive
- fast rejection of low-quality material
- adding soil or placing in a large diaper without injuring the roots of the seedlings
- ease of transplanting seedlings into the ground.
- insufficient nutrition leads to stunted growth
- insufficient lighting can lead to stretching of seedlings
- the roots are cramped in a small amount of land and they do not develop well.
Germinating seeds in a snail
If the gardener did not prepare the land in advance, even in the fall, or forgot to buy it in the store, there is a very simple way to germinate the seeds of vegetables and flowers without soil. For this you will need:
- food bags or film
- toilet paper or paper towels
- tomato seeds.
- A regular food bag is folded in half, with the edge away from you.
- Lay several layers of toilet paper on it, without going beyond the edges of the package.
- A nutrient solution is prepared with a root former. 2 drops of epin are added to 500 ml of water, or 20 ml (2 incomplete tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide is diluted in 1 liter of water. Experts believe that the composition of this solution is close to the composition of rainwater during a thunderstorm (water is saturated with oxygen).
- Typing the solution into the syringe, moisten the paper.
- Take out the tomato seeds from the bags and place them on damp paper, keeping a distance of 1 cm from the edge and 1.5-2 cm from each other.
- The paper is again moistened with the solution.
- Roll a bag of seeds into a roll (snail).
- Above, write the name of the variety with a waterproof marker.
- Put an elastic band for money on top so that the snail does not turn around.
- Placed in a plastic glass. In one small glass, 5 to 10 such diapers (snails) are placed, in which from 50 to 80 seedlings will sprout in a few days.
- Add the nutrient solution to the glass to a height of 1-2 cm
- Close the top with a plastic bag, creating a microstep inside.
- They are removed for several days in a warm place (5 to 15 days).
- When loops appear above the surface of the package, the shelter is removed and placed in a bright, but not in direct sunlight, warm place.
- After all the seeds have fully emerged, the temperature is slightly lowered to avoid pulling the tomato senses.
- In a roll-up without soil, the seedlings are until the first true leaves appear, no more than 2-3 weeks, otherwise the seedlings may die without nutrition.
- If it is not possible to open the seedlings in time, the snail is unfurled, a little earth is poured on top and gently twisted without pressure. In this state, the plants can be kept for another 7-10 days.
- Seedlings ready to dive have a long root, if it is rotten or poorly developed, the sprout is discarded.
Growing in diapers with soil
There is another way to grow tomatoes in diapers, but without picking. As a material for the snail, they use plastic wrap or agrospand (spunbond), the principles of twisting are slightly different. Film landing:
- A film about 70 cm long folded in half is laid on a table or tray (you can take 2 interconnected bags).
- Damp earth about 1 cm high is laid half the length, the second half remains free.
- Tomato seeds are laid on wet ground, retreating from the top about 1-1.5 cm and making the distance between future seedlings 1.5-2 cm.
- Sprinkle a little earth over the seeds.
- They twist the snail tightly, starting at the edge with the ground, with an empty half, simply wrap the diaper on top, helping to maintain its shape.
- Put on an elastic band on top, sign the grade.
- Place in a container or cut-off plastic bottle. Cover with a bag to create a microsteam effect.
- When the first shoots appear, the shelter is removed and grown in such diapers until 1-2 true leaves appear.
- To make a snail, you need a piece of spunbond about 25 by 70 cm.
- The material is halved in length.
- Wet earth is laid, on one half, retreating from the edge 1-2 cm and not reaching the other edge about 20 cm.
- Cover the ground with an empty half, aligning the edge, and wrap the snail.
- Secure it with an elastic band.
- With a toothpick or stick, holes are made on the surface of the earth and seeds are placed in them, watered with a syringe, sprinkled with soil.
There are several advantages to growing seedlings in spunbond:
- you do not need to buy it, they use pieces that have become from the greenhouse and greenhouse cover and old torn material
- spunbond breathes, air enters the roots, and the likelihood of rotting in the snail is minimized
- watering is done both from above and from below through the pallet.
Picking tomato seedlings into diapers
For such a pick, you will need very little land, which is important for urban residents of high-rise buildings. Stages of work:
- In order not to stain the table with earth, a tray is placed on it, on which an ordinary food bag is placed, folded in half.
- From any edge (left, right) impose 2-3 tbsp on the package. wet earth.
- Roll up a roll with seedlings ready for transplant.
- Remove 1 sprout from the paper, if the root is too long, it is slightly shortened so that in the future the root has a branched system. If the soaked toilet paper sticks to the plant, do not remove it, it will dissolve in the future.
- The sprout is laid on the ground in seven-leafed leaves and 2 more tables are closed on top. spoons of earth.
- Gently, but tightly twist the plant with the earth into a snail, starting from the edge where the earth is.
- If desired, fix it on top with an elastic band or tightly set it in cut off five-liter bottles.
- As the seedlings grow, the diaper is unrolled and 1-2 tablespoons of soil are added.
Caring for diaper tomatoes consists of:
- Glaze. Watering is done once every 3-5 days, depending on the drying out of the clod of earth. Young sprouts are watered from a syringe from above, grown and strong ones are produced through a pallet.
- Top dressing. The first time the seedlings are fed two weeks after the pick, then as needed. if the sprouts are lagging behind in growth, they are watered with a full complex fertilizer, taking a half dose.
- Loosening. Produce with a toothpick, trying not to hurt the delicate and thin roots. It is a necessary action after watering, especially when grown in plastic bags. Without access to air, the roots suffocate and begin to rot.
- Additional lighting. Growing in diapers entails insufficient illumination of young bushes and stretching of plants.
Since these plants do not have enough food, they are planted in the greenhouse as soon as the weather permits. Most often, tomatoes are overgrown due to lack of light. There are 2 ways to plant a tomato. If the seedlings are not overgrown:
- Dig a hole about 20 cm deep. Put 1-2 tablespoons at the bottom. superphosphate, which is a poorly water-soluble fertilizer. When watering, it gradually dissolves and supplies phosphorus to the roots of the tomato throughout the season. To reduce the acidity of the soil and supply the tomatoes with potassium, pour ½ cup of ash and a little humus or compost into the hole. All are mixed. Spill with water.
- Unfold the diaper. The whole earth in it is entangled with tomato roots. The plant is lowered into the hole and covered with earth. Top mulch with hay, peat, compost.
- Arcs are placed on top and covered with lutrasil (spunbond) to protect from temperature drops and sunburn.
- After a week, the plants are completely rooted and further care is carried out according to the rules for caring for tomatoes.
If the seedlings are thin and overgrown:
- They do not dig holes, but grooves 10-15 cm deep, add mineral and organic fertilizers necessary for growth.
- Unfold the diaper, without shaking off the soil from the roots, lay the plant in a trench with the roots to the south and cover the entire stem with earth, leaving only the crown above the ground.
- The plants are covered with lutrasil.
- The crown will stretch towards the sun and will soon straighten. in a week the whole plant will take root.
- A peg is placed near the tomato and the seedlings are tied to it.
- After 10-14 days, the first feeding is done.
Growing tomato seedlings in diapers is easy if you follow the rules of care and do not forget to add soil as the seedling grows. When transplanted into greenhouses and hotbeds, seedlings do not injure their roots, and they quickly take root in the ground. And the yield obtained subsequently depends on the completeness of the care and concern of the gardener about the tomato bushes.
4. Newspaper pots
Old newspapers can be excellent materials for making seedling containers. To do this, you will need newspaper sheets (it is better to give preference to black and white pages), a cylindrical object (bottle, narrow tin can), flour and water.
We suggest visiting the page with our master class on making seedling cups from old newspapers or paper.
You can plant seedlings in a greenhouse or open ground directly in cups, but you can cut or break the "pot" if you want.
Methods for growing cucumbers in a plastic bottle
Growing cucumbers with plastic bottles is a pretty original way to grow these vegetables effortlessly.
Cucumber shoots in the hole of a plastic bottle
The idea of growing cucumbers in plastic bottles is one of the innovations of modern vegetable growing, with the help of which it is possible to harvest an excellent harvest. This method allows you to grow cucumbers even in an apartment environment and is quite effective and economical.
There are many ways to grow cucumbers in a plastic bottle:
- "Vertical vegetable garden" that allows you to grow cucumbers on any vertical surface.
- Growing early cucumbers in which the plastic bottle protects the seeds and allows them to germinate quickly.
- An economical way to grow cucumbers using plastic bottles
- An original way to grow cucumbers in cups made from plastic bottles
- A landless way to grow cucumbers in plastic bottles using toilet paper.
Vertical vegetable garden from plastic bottles
The method is suitable for those who have little land allocated for the garden, and you need to save every piece of it. For planting you need:
- plastic bottles
- vertical surface (fence, wall of any building), which is in partial shade
- wall mountings.
Fill with earth horizontally attached to the wall plastic bottles with a cut out side, plant seeds there, stretch the ropes between the bottles. Grow cucumbers with constant feeding and regular watering. Planting cucumbers in plastic bottles, despite the small sowing area, will bring a rich harvest after a while. Yulia Petrichenko, expert
Woman harvesting cucumbers from vertical vegetable garden
A method of growing early cucumbers using plastic bottles
Using this method, the first harvest of cucumbers is harvested in June.
- Sprout the cucumber seeds in a rag with a growth stimulator, before soaking them in a solution of potassium permanganate for about thirty minutes.
- Then, in mid-April, when the daytime temperature reaches eight to ten degrees, and the nighttime temperature is about four degrees, mark the garden by digging it up and watering it with a solution of chicken droppings.
- After a couple of days in the garden, scatter a liter can of ash and loosen the soil. In the middle of the bed, make a groove about ten centimeters deep and about thirty centimeters wide. Then, at a distance of about twenty centimeters, make holes and fill them with a hot solution of potassium permanganate.
- Spread three seeds into the holes, sprinkle with earth on top and lightly tamp it with your palm.
- Place a plastic bottle in each well so that the sown seeds are inside it.
- Insulate the bottles from above with a covering material - lutrasil, put arcs and stretch the film, pressing it on all sides.
The first shoots should appear in about a week. After that, you need to open the caps of the bottles and pour warm water around the ground, and open the film slightly. When the sprouts no longer fit in the bottles, remove them. Before that, pour water at the base and twist in different directions.
The planted cucumber seeds are covered with plastic bottles
Lower the film overnight until warm weather sets in without sudden changes in temperature. This planting allows you to quickly grow vegetables even in adverse weather conditions.
An economical way to grow cucumbers in plastic bottles
Growing cucumbers with an economical method will allow you to do this with minimal financial costs, but if you have a greenhouse frame (when there was suddenly no money for a new film for the greenhouse).
- Pull the ropes up to the metal frame of the greenhouse.
- Dig a trench at the bottom, fill it with chicken droppings or other fertilizers, covering it with soil about ten centimeters on top.
- Make a shallow groove on top, fill it with boiling water and plant the seeds after cooling.
- Fill a plastic bottle with hot water and bury it horizontally in the ground next to the sown seeds. Cover the crops with an old film on top.
After a week, the first shoots should appear, which will grow rapidly, climbing up the ropes. The first crop can be harvested much earlier than conventionally grown cucumbers.
The original way to grow cucumbers using cups from plastic bottles
This growing method is convenient for the care of cucumbers. How to plant vegetables in an original way:
- For some time before planting cucumber seedlings, prepare the soil: dig a trench about seventy centimeters deep, fill it with grass, trample it, pour it abundantly with hot water, then cover it with earth. Make holes with sides on top. Before planting seedlings, pour ash and manure into each hole.
- Place two cucumber sprouts in each well in plastic bottle cups with holes at the bottom. Deepen them so that the edge is above the ground. The holes in the cup are made so that the roots of the cucumbers receive the necessary moisture and nutrients from the soil.
- Install arcs over the bed and stretch the film.
- In the second half of June, remove the film, and lay wooden blocks about two meters long at the ends of the beds. Attach two long posts to these bars: one vertically, the other at an angle. So that right-angled triangles are formed. Then, at a distance of 40 cm from each other, fix the rails on the self-tapping screws inside the triangles. The assembled structure resembles a staircase.
- When the cucumbers begin to curl, tie them to the rungs of the stairs, which allows the cucumbers to quickly come out of the shade on the sunny side.
When using this design, it is convenient to care for cucumbers: water and feed, harvest.
Seedlings of cucumber seedlings in plastic pots
Method of growing cucumbers in plastic bottles using toilet paper
The landless method allows you to grow seedlings of not only cucumbers, but also other vegetables in an apartment. You will need a little space on the windowsill, as well as materials:
- bottom of cut plastic bottle
- toilet paper
- plastic wrap or bags made of it
- Cut strips about ten centimeters wide from plastic wrap.
- Next, put toilet paper on each strip and moisten it with water from a spray bottle.
- On top, at a distance of about 3 cm from each other, place cucumber seeds.
- We cover the seeds with toilet paper and a strip of film, and roll them up into a roll that should fit into the cut bottle and fit snugly against it. Cucumber seeds should not be located at the bottom of the bottle, but at the top.
- Pour 3 cm of water into the bottom of the bottle and put it on the windowsill. The water in the bottle will need to be changed periodically.
Within a week, you can see the first sprouts of seedlings. When the first leaves appear, the plants can be planted in the ground. To do this, unfold the roll, remove the top strip, under which the seedlings are placed.
Growing cucumbers in plastic bottles is an original idea that will allow you to grow vegetables with minimal financial costs, as well as in a very small area, which is very beneficial for people who do not have the opportunity to cultivate vegetables in full-fledged conditions.