The roofing system of the house includes such elements as cornice and gable overhangs. They represent the indentations of the roof from the walls of the house, which are usually 35–70 cm wide, and protect the walls from getting wet. To prevent moisture from getting on the elements of the roofing system, the overhangs must be sheathed. If earlier boards, siding or lining were used for this, now a modern material has appeared - these are soffits, which can be vinyl, metal, aluminum or copper. There are both solid spotlights and perforations, the latter, in addition to protecting the rafter structure from rain and wind, also provide ventilation of the roof space.
What are spotlights, their varieties by material
Soffits are panels that are attached to eaves and gable overhangs with the face down. Translated from Italian, "spotlights" mean a ceiling, so many people associate this word, first of all, with lighting, and only then as a material for sheathing roof overhangs.
Soffits protect the eaves of the roof from wind, moisture, and also decorate the house
In addition to the fact that soffits protect the roof space from wind, precipitation, penetration of birds and insects, they also provide normal ventilation and decorate the exterior of the house. Soffits are produced in the form of separate panels, which are attached along the edge of the roof, and they are connected to each other using special locks.
These elements can be used both during the construction of a house and during its reconstruction. It is convenient to hide electrical wiring and other elements under them, so they will not spoil the appearance of the house.
By their appearance, spotlights can be of several types:
- solid, used for decorative filing of pediment, cornice overhangs and canopies;
- with perforation in the middle, they are also called combined;
- with continuous perforation, like combined ones, they provide ventilation for canopies and under-roof space and are usually installed in houses with an attic.
There are solid, perforated and combined soffits
According to the material used for the manufacture of spotlights, they are divided into several types. To decide which option to choose in your case, you first need to familiarize yourself with the existing offers, the advantages and disadvantages of each type of spotlights.
For the manufacture of vinyl soffits, polyvinyl chloride is used, which explains their practicality and low cost.
The main advantages of PVC spotlights:
- do not rot or corrode;
- are not affected by fungus and mold;
- have a long service life, it is 30 years or more;
- do not require additional costs for painting or processing with protective compounds;
- have a low weight, which greatly facilitates their transportation and installation;
- presented in a wide range of colors, which allows you to choose them for any home;
Vinyl spotlights are available in a wide range of colors, so they can be matched to any building
- withstand temperature changes and can be operated from -50 to + 60 oFROM;
- have a pleasant appearance.
If we talk about the dimensions of the panels, they can be different: the width is from 220 to 300 mm, the length is from 3000 to 3850 mm, and the thickness is in the range of 1–1.2 mm.
It must be said about the shortcomings of vinyl spotlights - although there are few of them, they are still there:
- not very high mechanical stability, but given the place of their installation, this is not a very important characteristic;
- PVC panels do not support combustion, but when heated to high temperatures, they can release harmful substances.
For the manufacture of such panels, galvanized sheet steel is used. For additional protection against the negative effects of external factors, polymer coating is carried out. Pural, plastisol or polyester are used as coverings as well as for metal siding protection.
The main advantages of metal spotlights:
- high strength;
- high corrosion resistance;
- resistance to high temperatures;
- resistance to the negative effects of ultraviolet rays;
- wide range of colors;
Metal soffits have high strength, are not damaged by fungus and mold, have a long service life
- long service life;
- ease of care.
Although, like any other material, metal spotlights have their drawbacks:
- relatively high cost, they are more expensive than PVC panels;
- the complexity of processing, since steel is much harder than polyvinyl chloride;
- heavy weight, so they are more difficult to install than vinyl soffits.
Despite the presence of disadvantages, a large number of advantages make metal soffits a popular and widespread solution when choosing materials for finishing roof overhangs.
This is another type of panels that have almost the same advantages as vinyl soffits, and in some respects surpass them:
- high strength, although the weight of aluminum panels is not much more than that of vinyl panels, their strength is much higher;
- stable color;
- dimensional stability with temperature drops.
The thickness of aluminum soffits can be from 0.3 to 0.6 mm.
Aluminum soffits are lightweight and at the same time high strength
If we talk about the disadvantages of such panels, then with mechanical damage on them, as well as on metal elements, dents remain and the cost of aluminum soffits is more than vinyl and metal ones.
The main advantage of copper panels is their high durability; the service life of such elements exceeds 130–150 years. In addition, copper is resistant to corrosion and such an element will adorn even the most expensive mansions. Copper panels, like metal or aluminum, are made of natural materials, therefore they are environmentally friendly.
Copper spotlights are the most durable, they will last more than 100 years
There are practically no drawbacks to copper spotlights, except that they have a high cost.
How to make the right choice
Soffits are a modern building material that can be used not only for filing roof overhangs. In addition, they can be used to decorate visors and even ceilings. If it is better to take perforated or combined soffits for covering the overhang, then it is better to use solid panels for decorating the ceiling.
When choosing spotlights, one must take into account the color of the house and the material used for its decoration, as well as your taste preferences and financial capabilities. Experts recommend that the color of the spotlights contrasts with the color of the house, this allows you to give it an original and unique look.
Pros and cons of filing roof overhangs with soffits
Without such an operation as filing overhangs, the roof will not have a finished look, its service life is reduced, therefore, this stage of construction work is mandatory. Although it is possible to hem the overhangs with boards, corrugated board or clapboard, it is best to use spotlights. This is due to the fact that spotlights are specially designed for these purposes. They have perforations that provide ventilation of the under-roof space, as well as special locks that help speed up and facilitate installation work.
The main advantages of filing overhangs with soffits:
- The presence of perforations in the soffits allows air to circulate. They provide ventilation of the roof roof system and also help to drain the formed condensation.
- The light weight of such elements does not increase the load on the foundation and walls of the house. This is especially important for pile and columnar foundations and foam block houses.
- Nice appearance. Since these elements are designed specifically for filing roof overhangs, they organically fit into the design of the house. With the help of such elements, you can transform the appearance of the building, make it complete and stand out from the background of other houses.
In order to make the house more attractive and expressive, it is recommended that the decoration of the house and soffits are in contrasting colors.
- High fire safety. The use of metal, aluminum or copper soffits guarantees a high fire safety at home, which cannot be said about wooden elements.
- Ease of installation. Complete with spotlights, you can purchase all the necessary elements. Installation of panels is simple and quick, so even a beginner can cope with their installation.
- UV resistant. The presence of special additives in the polymer coating increases resistance to the negative effects of sunlight.
Despite such a number of advantages, one cannot fail to say that spotlights have some disadvantages:
- Relatively high cost. If you compare them with ordinary boards or corrugated board, the cost of spotlights will be higher.
- The need to clean the perforations. To ensure the maximum service life of spotlights, they should be inspected periodically, at least once a year. Particular attention is paid to perforations, which can be clogged with debris, from which the performance of the panels deteriorates, and they will not be able to provide ventilation overhangs.
In order for the spotlights to perform their functions efficiently, it is necessary to periodically clean the perforations, otherwise the ventilation will be impaired.
Video: features of the choice of spotlights
Calculation of the number of spotlights for filing roof overhangs
Before proceeding with the filing of the roof overhangs with soffits, you first need to calculate their number. To do this, you can turn to specialists for help, but you will have to pay for their services. You can do the calculation yourself, for this you just need to remember the school mathematics course.
Consider performing the calculation using the example of a house with a gable roof:
- The length of the eaves (2 pieces) and pediment overhangs (4 pieces) is calculated. If the length of the cornice is 10 m, and the length of the pediment is 5 m, then their total length will be: 10x2 + 5x4 = 40 running meters of overhangs.
Soffits are used for filing eaves and gable overhangs of a building
- The area of the overhangs is calculated. In our case, the width of the overhang is 40 cm or 0.4 m, to calculate the area, the width of the overhangs must be multiplied by their length: 40x0.4 = 16 m2.
- The number of panels is determined. Depending on the selected type of spotlights, the panel sizes will be different. For example, let's take metal soffits, in which the panel size is 3mx0.325m = 0.98m2... To determine the number of pieces, the total area must be divided by the area of one panel: 16 ÷ 0.98 = 16.3, round up and get 17 panels.
- The number of J-profile is calculated. In addition to spotlights, you will need to purchase a J-profile, which is installed along the wall. The length of such a panel is 3 m, so we divide the total length of the overhang by the length of one panel: 40 ÷ 3 = 13.33, round off and get 14 pieces.
- The number of finishing and frontal strips is determined, they do this, as in the previous case. Since their length is also 3 m, they will need 14 pieces each.
In order to determine the exact number of spotlights, it is necessary to add 10-15% to the result obtained, this amount will be spent on cutting and random errors. If you doubt that 10-15% of the stock will be sufficient, you can perform additional calculations:
- Determine the number of pieces from one panel. Since the length of the soffit is 3 m, and the width of the overhang is 0.4 m, then from one panel it will turn out 3 ÷ 0.4 = 7.5, round off and get 7 pieces, the rest will go to waste.
- Determine the required number of pieces of spotlights. To do this, divide the total length of the overhangs by the width of the soffit: 40 ÷ 0.325 = 123.1, round off and get 124 pieces.
- Determine the exact number of panels. To do this, 124 ÷ 7 = 17.7, round up and get 18 panels.
Having carried out such simple calculations, you can determine the required number of spotlights, after which you need to go to the store and buy materials. Even if the builders carried out calculations for you, you can always double-check everything yourself and decide on their honesty and decency.
After carrying out the calculations and purchasing all the necessary materials, you can proceed to the installation of spotlights on the eaves and gable overhangs. Despite the fact that soffits can be made of different materials, this only affects their characteristics, and installation in all cases is carried out in the same way.
To carry out the installation of spotlights, you will need the following tools:
- building level;
- miter box, with its help, the panels are cut at an angle of 45 degrees;
- measuring instruments;
- pencil or chalk;
- scissors for metal or a sharp knife, they are necessary for cutting materials and are used depending on the type of spotlights;
Sequence of work:
- Carrying out markings for attaching the J-profile and frontal strip. Since the strips must be installed exactly one opposite the other, it will not be possible to install them without preliminary marking. When marking, it must be borne in mind that the spotlights should be located at right angles to the wall of the house. With this in mind, opposite the roof overhang, to which the frontal strip is attached, a line is marked on the wall of the house, along which the J-profile will be attached. If the surface of the wall is flat, then the J-profile can be attached directly to it, and when there are small irregularities, they are eliminated by installing a wooden strip, to which the profile is then attached.
- Installation of J-profile and front-plate. These strips are used to fix the spotlights. The J-profile is fixed to a pre-installed wooden strip on the wall. The frontal strip is mounted opposite the J-strip, on the overhang side.
The J-profile and the frontal strip must be installed opposite each other, for this it is necessary to make the correct markings
- Determining the length of the spotlights and cutting the panels to the required length. After installing the strips, the distance between them is measured, from which 6 mm is subtracted, this will be the length of the spotlights. Cut strips of the required length, for this it is better to use metal scissors, as the electric saw can damage the protective coating on metal panels. A six-millimeter gap is necessary to compensate for changes in the size of soffits during temperature changes, it is especially important for vinyl panels.
The length of the panels should be 6 mm less than the distance between the J-profile and the frontal strip in order to ensure thermal expansion of the soffits
- Fixing spotlights. The panels are slightly bent and inserted between the profiles, after which they are fixed with self-tapping screws. Adjacent elements are connected to each other using a special lock connection, which ensures a tight and reliable installation.
Soffits are inserted between the J-profile and the frontal strip, after which they are fixed with self-tapping screws.
- Corner decoration. To make the angle beautiful, the soffit panels are gradually shortened, they do it at an angle of 45oto make a correct cut, you must use a miter box. An H-profile is used to close the seam or it can be replaced with two J-profiles.
When making corners, the planks are cut at an angle of 45 degrees.
Recommendations of specialists, which must be followed during installation of spotlights:
- fastening of the strips is carried out through special holes and only at right angles;
- to compensate for thermal expansion, it is imperative to leave a gap;
- for fixing the panels, it is recommended to use self-tapping screws with a head width of 8 mm and they should not be tightened very tightly, a gap of about 1 mm should be left between the cap and the panel;
- the panels must be fixed at least every 40 cm;
Soffits are fixed in no more than 40 cm, but it is possible more often
- vinyl panels can be cut with a knife, for this they draw a line, after which the panel is bent and broken off;
- when transporting and storing panels, they must be laid on flat surfaces;
- although manufacturers indicate that soffits can be installed at any time, experts recommend doing this at temperatures above 15 degrees.
Video: installation of spotlights
Roof overhangs, like its other elements, require special attention. The use of spotlights for their cladding helps to simultaneously solve several problems: to protect wooden truss systems from the negative effects, and also to make the appearance of the house original and attractive. There are several types of spotlights, so everyone can choose them based on their preferences and financial capabilities. Regardless of the type of spotlights chosen, the end result will depend on the correct installation work. If you decide to install spotlights yourself, carefully study the installation technology and the recommendations of specialists. In this case, you do not need to have special knowledge and tools, so even a beginner can cope with the work.
Ideas for filing roof overhangs
Roof overhangs filing is not an obligatory procedure in the construction and home improvement. But both builders and designers recommend doing it. In order to convince the necessity of this process, a number of arguments are given.
- Without filing the floor with a roof, dirt can accumulate, which, if drunk, contributes to the appearance of mold.
- The places between the rafters are a favorite place for birds, they equip their nests there. And even if you are an ardent lover of nature, the footprints and dirt left by the inhabitants are unlikely to please you.
- Sewn overhangs are more attractive.
We hope that we have convinced you that roof filing is an important stage in construction, and we offer several ideas for its implementation.
Why hem overhangs
With the pediment, everything is clear: firstly, an uncovered overhang of such a configuration is dangerous by water entering the roof, and secondly, it is clearly visible, so it is advisable to arrange it neatly and in the general style of construction. As for the eaves overhang, theoretically it is not necessary to hem it, and building codes do not insist on this. However, in practice, this must be done at least to protect against various animals: birds, insects and even small animals love to nest in such secluded corners, leaving waste products there and violating the integrity of the roofing cake. In addition, the blow-through of an unprotected eaves overhang can result in damage: with very strong winds, air currents in the under-roof space can be powerful enough to damage the roof.
Soffits for roof
The roof is a multifunctional element of every home. As a rule, it has an aesthetic appearance, which, undoubtedly, is facilitated by reliability, as well as high-quality installation of the structure. These indicators just determine the degree of protection of each room under the roof.
Rather than the roof, it's up to you to choose, someone chooses more expensive options: andulline and tiles, someone cheaper, for example, slate (how to cover the roof with slate).
The roof completes any building, it is the final touch in the appearance of the house, which is why it is necessary to pay special attention to the material for its decoration. Wooden lining, vinyl and metal siding for filing both front and eaves overhangs are widespread. These materials, used for finishing, can be considered as "improvised" means specially designed for these purposes.
The latter category includes soffits, which are specially made soffit panels. Their direct purpose - filing the overhangs of the roof of the building. The use of soffit panels as a finishing material allows to give the building not only completeness, but also a beautiful appearance. Moreover, soffits provide excellent ventilation of the entire space under the roof.
High-quality ventilation is very important when decorating attic floors, especially with an insulated roof. Thus, the use of spotlights reduces the energy consumption required to heat the building. Providing high-quality ventilation, soffit panels significantly increase the service life of the roof, and it has to be repaired much less often.
You should approach the installation of soffit panels with all responsibility. The very widespread opinion is erroneous that if the soffits practically do not carry a serious functional load, then their installation can be carried out quickly, without paying attention to the details. However, installing spotlights is a very serious process, because as a result of improper installation, the functionality and appearance of the building will deteriorate.
Soffits for roofs have recently appeared on the domestic construction market, but, despite this, they have already managed to win the favor and recognition of consumers. Today manufacturers can provide several types of spotlights: double and triple. In turn, these panels are divided into perforated, perforated in the center and solid.
The advantage of perforated soffit panels is the ability to provide good ventilation in the space under the roof. Thus, perforated soffit panels will facilitate a continuous flow of fresh air into the under-roof space. Solid spotlights are the most optimal option for finishing the front overhangs of the roof. Due to the similarity of the method of production and construction, soffits for the roof are one of the types of siding, which, in turn, is considered a kind of "successor" of the lining. Siding differs only in greater strength.
Soffits for the roof have many advantages, which distinguishes them favorably from other finishing materials:
1) Spotlights have a high degree of resistance to mechanical influences
2) They are environmentally friendly
3) Soffits for the roof are poorly exposed to decay and practically do not burn, unlike the lining
4) Soffits allow you to implement projects with complex architectural elements, thanks to the ability to easily cut and process this material.
Solid soffit can be used not only as a trim for roof overhangs, but as siding (vertically) for finishing the facade of the entire building. Today, vinyl soffits are in demand, which are perfectly combined with vinyl siding. In appearance, they create a "fashionable" duet. They are very light, as the approximate weight of the vinyl soffit is 1.16 kg per sq. m. The thickness of the panel is only 4 mm. Vinyl soffit panels will last a long time, which is facilitated by their plasticity.
The price of spotlights for the roof is small, so it will be affordable for any person. Soffit maintenance is minimal. The small weight will allow you to easily transport the soffit panels even over long distances; the installation does not require the use of expensive special equipment. Moreover, the resistance of soffit panels to temperature extremes allows their installation regardless of weather conditions. A very wide range of colors offered by manufacturers allows you to implement any design projects.
Soffits - roof filing
Overhangs usually do not require much attention. How to equip them, to hem them is everyone's personal business. The main thing to consider is that with the help of them the waterproofing film, the lower surface of the roof or part of the untreated wood surface should be hidden.
The need for a roof overhang is well proven, since it is the part of the roof from below that protrudes beyond the walls. Basically, it is protection from rain and snow of the inner part of the walls. The overhang width can be different - from 40 centimeters to one meter. Installation of overhangs takes place at the final stage, when the roof and gutters have already been installed, and the walls are insulated.
The choice of materials for filing roof eaves
What does roof siding look like? How is siding done on the eaves? What should be considered before starting work on the roof? This is just a small part of the questions that people ask themselves before choosing a material for cladding. Today on the market there is a huge assortment of all kinds of materials with which the cornice is finished. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages, but they can all fully protect against moisture, provide insulation and ventilation of the roof.
Important! When choosing a particular material, it is worth paying attention not only to its beautiful appearance, it is also necessary to take into account the duration of the operational period.
This material is a galvanized steel with a polymer coating in various colors. Well resistant to temperature extremes and mechanical damage, the corrugated board has the necessary rigidity and is able to withstand significant wind loads. To ensure effective ventilation, a wave height gap is made between the corrugated board and the building wall.
This material is specially designed for filing the eaves on the roof. These are, in fact, plastic panels that look like siding, but they already have ventilation holes. And the siding of the cornice is now very common. In addition, they differ from ordinary siding in that they include ultraviolet stabilizers that protect the coating from the negative effects of sunlight.
It is worth considering the various materials used to make spotlights:
- Copper spotlights. This outwardly aesthetic and presentable material is quite durable, but its price is also higher than that of most similar materials. Copper soffits are well resistant to fire and durable, which further encourages their choice.
- Aluminum spotlights. As befits products from this material, aluminum soffits are lightweight, they are also fire-resistant, elastic, and easy to replace during repairs. Due to the high durability of the paint, the color saturation of such spotlights does not change under the influence of ultraviolet rays. Their only drawback is the paucity of colors - it includes only white and brown colors.
- Galvanized spotlights. They do not need additional care and are extremely durable, strong, besides, these soffits are not afraid of fire and moisture. Their weight is quite large, so the installation of such spotlights will take more time.
- Vinyl spotlights. This is the cheapest and most popular spotlight option for filing roof eaves. They are lightweight, perfectly protect from the influence of the external environment, are visually attractive, are easy to install, and also create a canvas without seams, thereby ensuring optimal ventilation of the space under the roof. Today they are made of fire-resistant plastic that can withstand severe stress.
Installation of spotlights from any material is quite simple and can be done by one person.
Edged board and wooden lining
Wood is still often used for filing eaves. Since it is installed outside the house, the influence of the environment in this case is great, therefore, the choice of this material must be approached especially responsibly. The thickness of the lining must be at least 2 cm, and it must have an average moisture content.
Important! To ensure good ventilation, the boards should be nailed at a distance of 2 cm from the wall.
The roof filing process is an important stage in the construction of any cottage, directly affecting its appearance. This work can be entrusted to professionals, because they will perfectly complete the overhangs and give your home a finished look. I am sure, after reading this article, you learned a lot of new and interesting information and learned how to hem the roof overhangs, and also were able to get acquainted with such a process as filing the roof with soffits. Now you can choose and order the correct, economical and neat overhangs.