The popularity of the overlaid roof is due to its low cost and ease of installation. To lay such a coating, you only need a household gas burner and initial skills in roofing. At the same time, there are no special requirements for the surface of the base, so almost any owner of a garage, a suburban area or a small trade tent can mount a roof made of welded roll material.
Characteristic features of the deposited roof
Fusion-bonded roofing coverings provide:
- high-quality protection of the roof of the building and residential premises from the negative effects of wind and precipitation;
- keep warm in winter and protect against overheating on hot summer days.
The weld-on roof is easy and quick to install and protects the building from heat loss, precipitation and overheating in the heat
Weldable materials are also valued for their wide range of applications. They are used to:
- installation of roofing;
- waterproofing, for example, when arranging the foundation of a house;
- construction of underground structures (basements, caissons, basements, etc.);
- arrangement of swimming pools and other similar structures.
Roll deposited materials can be used in any climatic conditions, even in areas characterized by a severe frosty climate.
The materials to be welded are supplied in rolls, which are unwound and adhered to the roof surface after heating the bottom layer
Properties of deposited coatings
The main properties of modern fused roofing materials are:
- good waterproofing, allowing them to be used not only as a roof covering;
- resistance to ultraviolet rays and temperature extremes;
- the ability to withstand increased mechanical stress.
All material properties are retained only under the condition of correct storage and transportation. It is only necessary to store and transport rolls in an upright position, so the risk of web sticking will be minimal. In addition, they must be protected from direct sunlight and heating appliances.
Roll welded materials should be stored in an upright position away from heating appliances and protected from direct sunlight.
The basis of the roofing materials to be welded is necessarily a non-woven material. Most often it is building board, polyester or fiberglass.
One or more layers of bitumen are applied on top of the base in order to give increased strength. The topmost one is covered with sand, shale or mica crumbs. On the reverse side of the base, a deposited bitumen layer is created, which serves to adhere to the roof surface. On top of this layer is an indicator film. When heated, it burns out, which means that the coating is ready for installation.
The weld-on roof consists of several layers of bituminous binder, not applied to the base of non-woven material and closed on both sides with protective coatings
Advantages and disadvantages
Roll roofing materials have the following advantages:
- Light weight. The material is easily transported, easy to install and does not create large loads on the roof structure, so that a reinforced rafter system or base for the roof is not required.
- Ease of maintenance. The finished roof does not require constant attention and only needs periodic seasonal inspections.
- Increased strength. The deposited materials are capable of withstanding significant mechanical loads.
- High hydro and noise insulation properties.
- Resistance to fire and various atmospheric phenomena, including significant temperature changes and strong winds.
- Environmental Safety. Non-volatile substances are used for the production of the material, which, when heated, do not enter the environment.
- Availability. The deposited materials have a low cost, so anyone can use them for roofing work.
Among the main disadvantages of rolled roofs, the most often noted are the lack of vapor barrier properties and flammability, which increases the risk of fire both during installation and during operation. However, with the right approach to the arrangement of the roof, they can be easily eliminated. For example, a vapor barrier layer is usually included in the composition of the roofing cake, which is installed before laying the topcoat, and the risk of fire is minimized by observing the necessary fire-prevention measures provided for by the construction technology.
Types of roll deposited materials
Roof build-up materials may vary:
- type of base;
- a binder;
- type of protective coating.
Rolled bitumen roofing materials
Bitumen is usually used as an impregnating agent. Its melting point is only 45-50 oC, therefore, to increase stability, this substance is oxidized. The oxidation process reduces the frost resistance of bitumen.
The main advantage of bituminous roofing materials is their cost, combined with reliability and a rather long service life.
Bituminous weld roofing provides a high degree of roof waterproofing and can last up to 25 years
The most high-quality and durable representative of this group is ecoflex. It is a fiberglass or fiberglass impregnated with a modified bitumen mixture (with the addition of filler and technical substances that increase strength and resistance to weathering). The material is considered universal, since it can be used as a roofing or for waterproofing various structures (the differences lie in the type of sprinkling). It can be applied to any type of substrate as it has excellent adhesion properties. It is ekoflex that is used to repair old roofing coatings, since it goes well even with oxidized bitumen. The service life of this material is 20–25 years.
An older, but no less popular material of the group of roll coatings is roofing material. It is based on building board. It cannot be called elastic, since it cracks at low temperatures, therefore it is most often used only as waterproofing.
Fusion-bonded roll material for roof top layer
The deposited roof, intended for the installation of the upper layer (when using such materials, it is necessary to lay it in several layers), is characterized by an increased thickness, a lower level of plasticity and the presence of coarse-grained dressing. Shale or granulate is usually used as a dressing.
Representatives of this type of materials are:
- composite bikrost - has hydro- and vapor barrier properties, coarse-grained dressing protects a solid base from ultraviolet radiation, for which shale chips are used. It is allowed to use this material in any climatic conditions;
For the top layer of the roof, only material with coarse-grained dressing is suitable, for example, bikrost
- glass insulation - based on fiberglass, a film or coarse-grained dressing can be used as a protective coating. The material has good sound insulation properties, installation at low temperatures is possible.
Polymer deposited materials
Speaking of polymer materials, they usually mean bitumen-polymer products, since installation by fusion is impossible without a layer of bitumen. Bitumen-polymer surfacing materials include:
- Euroruberoid. It is valued for its long service life, regardless of environmental conditions (even with severe frosts and constant wind, it can serve for 15–20 years). Euroruberoid is based on synthetic fabrics impregnated with bitumen-polymer compounds. Polymer chips are used as dressing.
Euroruberoid is based on an ether canvas impregnated with bitumen, which contains special polymer additives that increase the service life of the coating to 20 years or more.
- Bipole. This type of roofing is used for roofs with a low slope. The basis of the material is covered:
- on the underside - with a low-melting polymer film;
- from the top - coarse-grained mineral chips.
- Uniflex. Possesses excellent characteristics: breaking longitudinal force - not less than 294 kg / m2, the temperature of flexibility on the bar (preservation of elasticity) - up to -20 oC, heat resistance - 95 oC.
Rolled roofing color
Modern roll surfacing materials differ from their predecessors not only in their increased service life combined with good performance properties, but also in the choice of material color that will match the overall design of the site. This is achieved through the use of colored chips. It is coarse, which means it is ideal for arranging the top layer of the roof. Colored chips make the material:
- outwardly attractive;
- more resistant to external influences;
- less susceptible to sunlight (for example, silvery chips reflect 40% of the sun's rays, which prevents aging of the roof).
The top coating of the overlaid roof can have a pattern, which is formed by applying chips of different colors
Membrane weldable materials have their own classification.
- TPO membranes. They consist of modified rubber and propylene. The base can be reinforced with polyester or fiberglass. The service life of such a coating is at least 50 years. The material is environmentally friendly due to the absence of plasticizers in the composition. TPO-membrane can be used in conditions of low air temperature (performance characteristics are not lost at temperatures down to -62 oC).
- PVC membranes. They contain a large number of plasticizers, which give the material increased elasticity. Other benefits include fire and UV resistance. On the construction market, this type of roofing is presented in a wide range of colors. But plasticizers are volatile, which means that the elasticity of the material is lost during operation.
- EPDM membranes. This type of roofing material cannot be attributed to weldable, because it requires exclusively adhesive bonding of the sheets. Most often they are used to equip an inversion roof.
- Isoplast is an independent roofing material with good waterproofing properties. Its base is covered with a polymer film on both sides. Among the advantages are high strength, the ability to lay in frosty weather, resistance to fire, long service life.
Hardfaced roofing manufacturers
On the building materials market, you can purchase a weld-on roof from the following manufacturers.
- Technonikol. The company presents roll-to-roll weld-on roofing of several classes, which differ in terms of service life. Glass and polymer materials impregnated from modified bitumen are chosen as the basis. The advantage of TechnoNIKOL brand products is that they are represented by a wide range of hardfacing coatings that can be used in various climatic conditions, including the most severe ones. The warranty period for the products of this company is 10 years or more. One of the main materials is "Technoelast" - a roll coating with bitumen impregnation, which can have a reinforced or unreinforced base made of fiberglass, fiberglass, construction cardboard and essential materials.
The Technonikol company is a leader in the production of overlaid roofing
- Petroflex. It produces directly welded roofing, as well as materials for its repair and installation (mastic and primer). As a basis, the manufacturer uses imported materials (fiberglass and polyester), from which it produces roll roofing of the following types:
- "Poliruf" - has a reinforced base, service life 20-25 years, suitable for use in the temperature range from -20 to +100 oC, can fit on any base;
- "Petroelast" - made on the basis of Italian polyester, used for sprinkling hydrophobic oil shale or granulate, service life up to 30 years, compatible with all non-combustible materials and oxidized bitumen;
- "Supplex" - is most often used as a lining material, the service life does not exceed 5-7 years.
Petroflex uses imported nonwovens as a basis for its coatings.
- "Aquaizol". Uses protective mica crumb in production. The overlaid roof of this manufacturer is characterized by increased heat resistance (more by 5-10 oC) and flexibility on the bar (elasticity remains at temperatures down to -70 oC). The main product is euroruberoid, which is produced both with and without dusting. Its promising modification is ruberite, which can be laid even at subzero temperatures, which makes it possible to carry out local repairs even in winter.
Roof device for a welded roof
The welded roofing requires a high-quality arrangement of the base. You can lay the material on:
- reinforced concrete slabs, while the seams need to be sealed with sand mortar M 150, the presence of a leveling screed is not required;
- insulation plates, in particular, mineral wool, installation of the screed is also not required;
- monolithic insulation made of lightweight concrete or a mixture of bitumen with vermiculite and perlite;
- monolithic screed made of cement-sand mortar with a leveling effect;
- dry screed (minimum thickness of sheets for screed base should be 8 mm, while laying should take place in two layers).
Vertical surfaces, for example, parapets, ventilation and chimney pipes, must also be carefully prepared for laying the welded roof.
The weld-on roof can be laid on any base, including a screed, a layer of insulation or a concrete slab.
Before installing the roofing material, the base surface must be cleaned of:
- stains of oil, cement milk;
- slugs of concrete.
In addition, all potholes, cracks, depressions must be completely repaired and sharp irregularities must be eliminated, all protruding elements must be removed, especially for fragments of reinforcement.
Combined weld-on roof
The combined fusion roof is considered the simplest and cheapest option for arranging an insulated roof. Its design implies the laying of vapor barrier material directly on the ceiling of the upper floor. After that, a roofing cake is formed:
- ventilated layer;
- waterproofing layer;
- slope (in the case of arranging a flat roof). It can be done by laying expanded clay gravel and pouring a reinforced screed;
- primer - used to increase the adhesion of the overlaid roofing material to the base surface.
The design with a ventilated layer is relevant in the case of arranging an attic roof. The ventilation gap is needed to remove excess moisture from the insulation, as well as to cool the living quarters of the upper floors in the summer.
When installing a warm combined roof, it is necessary to leave a ventilation gap between the roofing and the thermal insulation layer
Do-it-yourself installation of a welded roof
You can do the installation of the overlaid roof with your own hands, the main thing is to carefully follow the technology and have the necessary tools and materials.
Roofing tools and materials
To cover the roof surface with fusion-bonded roofing materials, the following tools are required:
- gas-burner. The connection of the gas cylinder must be done through a reducer;
- putty knife;
- sharp roofing knife;
- hard roller;
- brushes for cleaning the surface of the base and applying the primer.
It is recommended to carry out all work on arranging the roof with welded materials only in protective clothing, shoes and gloves.
Video: what is needed for a welded roof
Fusion on a flat roof
A flat roof usually has a concrete base. The quality of the final result here largely depends on the correctness of the preparatory work. Laying the material should be done exclusively on a dry surface. It is recommended to check humidity not only visually, but also with a special device - a moisture meter.
There is an easy way to determine the moisture content of a concrete base surface. To do this, put a square of plastic wrap with a side of 1 m on a plane and leave it for a day. If during this time condensation has not formed on it, you can start working.
If the humidity is still increased, then there are ways to reduce it:
- wipe the surface with a rag with acetone, then dry the base with a construction hairdryer;
- use heat guns to blow the surface, compressed air from the compressor has a similar effect;
- lay the heating cable. It can be positioned in the seams of the base, if any.
Before laying the deposited material, it is necessary to equip fillets in the places of abutment to vertical surfaces, for example, parapets. To do this, you need to make the sides with a slope of about 45o and a height of 10 cm. For their manufacture, you can use asphalt concrete, cement-sand mortar or hard mineral insulation.
After that, you can proceed with the installation of the roll roofing, which is carried out in several stages.
- Prime the surface of the base to increase adhesion to the roofing material. For this purpose, a bituminous primer can be used.
Bituminous primer provides good adhesion of the overlaid roof to the base
- Check the dryness of the primer. This can be done by hand: the surface should not stick.
- Heat the bottom layer of the roll material and the primer with a gas burner. To do this, it must be positioned in a special way, at an angle, in order to ensure an influx of molten bitumen, which will serve as a guarantee of good adhesion of the roofing material to the base.
Heating of the roofing material must be done so that the lower layer of bitumen melts and, when the roll is rolled out, sticks to the hot primer on the surface of the base
- After laying the first tape of the overlaid roof, it is imperative to check the quality of the seam. If the seam is slightly peeled off, the edge of the material should be slightly raised, reheated with a gas burner, and then carefully rolled with a roller. At the same time, walking on freshly laid material is strictly prohibited, since there is a risk of dark marks on the dressing.
- Additionally, it is recommended to lay another layer of material near the water intake funnels.
It is necessary to heat the bottom layer of the material until the bitumen comes out of the roll. This is the only way to achieve a high-quality connection between the roof and the base.
Video: hardfaced soft roof - how to heat the material
Laying weld materials on a pitched roof
Installation of a weld-on roof on a pitched roof also requires careful preparation of the base. After cleaning the surface, removing potholes and sharp protrusions and priming with a bituminous primer, you can proceed to the direct installation of the roll roof.
- You need to start work from the bottom of the roof. First, it is recommended to completely unroll the roll, this will make sure that it is in the correct position. After checking, the initial part must be fixed by first melting the lower layer with a burner, and then roll up the roll again.
- Now you can cover the rest of the base with the material. To do this, the bottom layer of the roll must be heated with a gas burner, then gradually unfold the roll and press the material against the base. It is better to do this with a roller, its movements should be performed from the middle to the edges of the strip. You need to carefully monitor the quality of the seams.
When fusing the roof onto a pitched roof, you need to move from bottom to top
- Each next tape must be laid with an overlap on the previous one. The overlap should be 8 cm from the sides and 15 cm from the ends. When making joints, it is imperative to take into account the direction of the roof slope, otherwise there is a risk of moisture penetration under the roof.
Installation of roll coverings on a wooden base
It is also possible to lay roll material on a wooden base, however, traditional installation in this case is not possible due to the increased risk of base fire. In this case, you can mount the roof on mastic or fix it with slats. There are also roll roofing materials with a self-adhesive base, for example, "Rizolin" or "Technoelast S".
The easiest way to cover a wooden roof with roll materials is to use a self-adhesive coating
There is a possibility of laying the material to be welded with heating only at the joints of the canvases. But with this method, the main part of the material is not fixed by anything, so it must be additionally fixed, for example, with longitudinal slats.
Video: laying a welded roof on a wooden base
Finished roof care
Long service life of the roof is possible provided that it is properly cared for. In particular, it requires:
- remove the snow in a timely manner, and this must be done as carefully as possible, using only a wooden or plastic tool;
- get rid of vegetation, since its roots can damage the tightness of the coating.
Service life of the overlaid roof
The service life of the overlaid roof depends on the material class:
- premium - 25-30 years old (for example, uniflex);
- business - 15-25 years old (ecoflex);
- standard - 10-15 years (bipole);
- economy - up to 10 years (bikrost, rubemast).
Repair of overlaid roof
During operation, the appearance of various defects in the overlaid roof is possible. Some of them can be corrected by yourself, and no material replacement is required. First, you need to visually assess the condition of the surface, in particular, to determine if there are cracks, breaks, signs of delamination or softening of the material on the surface. After that, their number is calculated. Based on the data received, a decision is made on the type of work required:
- local repair is carried out with damage less than 40% of the roof area. In this case, patches are applied in the places of formation of defects or repeated welding of the seams is carried out;
Minor damage to the roof covering can be repaired with patches or additional weld seams
- overhaul requires a complete replacement of the material.
In order to perform a local repair of the overlaid roof, you need to do the following operations.
- Cut the damaged area crosswise.
A cruciform incision is made at the site of injury
- Thoroughly clean the base from dust and debris, then dry it completely.
- Mix mastic with dry sawdust and lubricate the damaged area with this mixture.
- Return the cut material to its place and press down carefully.
- Apply a patch 10–15 cm larger than the damaged area. Be sure to grease the edges of the patch with mastic for sealing.
The patch must completely cover the place of damage and be smeared with mastic from all edges
Reviews about welded roof
Fusion bonded roofing is an optimal and high-quality material due to its good performance properties combined with low cost. If you carry out the installation yourself and completely follow the technology described in this article, you will get a reliable and inexpensive roof with a long service life.
The roll roof consists of several layers - heat-insulating, waterproofing, reinforcing and material intended for attachment to the surface. Rolled roofing reliably protects the house from exposure to sunlight and moisture, provides the necessary thermal insulation, which leads to significant savings in heating the premises in winter.
Pros and cons
Like any material, roll roofing has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Wide range of colors
- Wide range of shingle shapes.
- Fragility (the warranty period is 2-3 years, the maximum allowable service life is 10-12 years)
- Much cheaper than slate
- Installation is simple and inexpensive. In this case, a prerequisite is a solid base under the roof, the presence of ventilation ducts and windows for the under-roof space. In addition, for such a roof must have a continuous vapor barrier, the necessary insulation layer, and have wind insulation. Roofing work should be carried out during the warm season. If the temperature is below +5 ° C, then a building hair dryer is used for installation. To lay this type of roof, special knowledge is required, which is possessed by highly qualified and, accordingly, highly paid specialists.
- The need for a systematic inspection of the operated roof and snow removal, cleaning the drainage system. At the same time, it is strictly forbidden to use metal objects for these purposes. At high air temperatures, walking on such a roof is not allowed in order to avoid deformation of the surface, as a result of which stains and traces of shoes remain
- The storage of such material is also complicated, since it is not stored for long, while it must be kept in a warm room. It is also not allowed to stack pallets with rolls on top of each other.
- Low strength and brittleness of the material determines its low technical characteristics.
- The material has a negative effect on human health, emitting hazardous chemicals into the atmosphere when heated
- Completely combustible material. At the same time, burning, it releases toxic substances
- The need for a vapor barrier, wind barrier and, in some cases, additional waterproofing
- The need to remove snow manually so that melt water does not accumulate
- The appearance of the roof deteriorates over time, as it collects dust.
Advantages of roll roofing materials
The widespread use of roll materials is due to the presence of numerous advantages, which include the following:
- Simple and quick installation
- Light weight
- Lack of significant labor costs during delivery to the construction site
- Low price
- Easy and inexpensive repair
- Good heat and sound insulation
- Environmentally friendly materials
- Modern appearance (for example, there are options stylized as tiles).
How to choose roofing materials
As a rule, the cost of roofing, related products and work itself is taken into account. Be prepared for the fact that the price will include the price of wood-based materials required for the construction of the roof and finishes. In general, buyers tend to focus on the following indicators.
The service life of a particular material. Naturally, we want the roof to serve and not require repairs as long as possible, and each product has its own lifespan.
The type of building that needs a roof. For residential buildings, summer cottages, cottages, more solid material is selected, but outbuildings are not so demanding, which means that you can save on the roof here.
Aesthetics of the finished coating. And this factor is no less significant, because the roof is in plain sight and sets the style and character of the entire structure.
Cost of goods. Of course, you may want to install natural tiles on the roof, but the financial aspect makes itself felt, so you often have to select a more practical and less expensive product.
The total amount also adds the cost of thermal insulation, without which any roof will serve a much shorter period, and half of the functions that the owner entrusts to it simply cannot be performed.
Order roofing materials at the best price
In the Building Materials Store you can buy rolled roofing materials, elements of ventilation, insulation and drainage systems at competitive prices.
We offer our customers a large selection of general construction materials, tools, workwear and dozens of other products from the best manufacturers in the country and abroad.
We have been successfully selling building materials for over fifteen years.
Our experts are always ready to help you with the choice of goods and ordering.
Orders are delivered in Minsk and the region and Dzerzhinsk and the region.
We strictly follow the technical regulations when packing, loading and transporting orders so that you can receive them undamaged.
Do you want to get the required building materials even cheaper? Pay attention to our promotions and special offers available to every buyer!
Waterproofing material with a heavy-duty base coated with a special binder. Possesses the maximum indicators of wear resistance, strength and withstands high temperatures - up to + 220 ° С.
Technoelastmost C has proven itself as a reliable material for waterproofing at federal transport facilities. Designed for the device of a protective-adhesion layer on a steel orthotropic and reinforced concrete slab of the roadway in cases of laying asphalt concrete (temperature up to + 220 ° C) directly on the waterproofing.
The unique physical and mechanical characteristics of the Technoelastmost C material are ensured by the use of isotactic polypropylene and polyolefins as a modifier.
Features: - withstands the temperature of the poured asphalt during its laying (up to 220 ° С) - fixed thickness of the material - withstands the punching shear test up to 250N.
Heavy-duty roofing in rolls provides a high level of waterproofing on the roadway of span structures, and also creates a protective and adhesion layer on the steel or reinforced concrete slab of the roadway.
The final part of the construction is the roof, and it is this structure that catches the eye in the first place. Along with other construction products, buy roofing materials in Kaluga it is possible on our base, because we offer the most practical and attractive types of roofing:
- Metal tiles and corrugated board are materials with ideal geometry, which simplifies installation and saves money on additional labor. The metal roof is resistant to mechanical stress, despite the relatively small thickness of 3 mm.
- Soft roofing, or flexible shingles - a bitumen-based roll material with a polymer coating, which is glued by fusion to the base. Our products are made of inexpensive but practical materials - glass insulation, uniflex, technoelast and linocrome. Flexible shingles are manufactured in various thicknesses - from 2.5 to 4 mm.
Modern roofing materials are not a cheap pleasure, therefore it is important to calculate the roof and related consumables as accurately as possible.
These are steel (galvanized or colored) corrugated sheets. They are easily attached to the lathing and connected to each other.
Benefits: the material is inexpensive, has low weight and strength.
Minuses: there is no soundproofing.
A large selection of sheet roofing materials available on the market will help you decide on the type of roofing that is most suitable for your needs.
There are also roll roofing materials, the so-called "soft roof", read more in the article: Roll roofing materials.