A beautiful and well-kept garden requires a significant investment of labor and time. Many admit that changing activities is beneficial, but most of us come out of town just to relax surrounded by family and friends. In this case, beautiful flower gardens are just a pleasant addition to the rest. Therefore, we choose unpretentious flowers for the garden, which do not require significant effort to grow. But this does not mean that hardy plants are less attractive or bloom less abundantly. Among the unassuming cultures, you can choose those that will serve as a real decoration of the garden, and will not require increased attention.
How to properly decorate your garden?
There are a lot of plants that do not require special care. First of all, let's figure out which ones we need. So, in order for the garden to make a pleasant impression, you need to decide on the priority measures for its ennobling.
Anyone who sees this Moorish lawn will admire its beauty and naturalness. And meanwhile, you don't even need to cut it
You can achieve the desired effect using:
- Live hedges. Ornamental shrubs are able to divide the site into separate zones. For this purpose, it is better to choose plants that can do without cutting for a long time. It is important that the climatic conditions in your area match those to which the shrub is accustomed.
- A special kind of lawn. An ordinary grass lawn requires maintenance, especially at the beginning, when the weeds are still trying to reclaim their living space. Much easier to use a Moorish lawn or with the inclusion of white clover. This garden decoration does not need frequent haircuts and looks great.
- Vertical gardening. Many recklessly admit hops to their plots. This is a truly unpretentious plant that is capable of braiding large spaces in a fairly short time. But the spread of hops is very difficult to control. This aggressor plant can do more harm than good. If some vertical surface needs landscaping, then it is better to use girlish grapes for this purpose.
- Flower beds. Flower beds, ridges, mixborders and other types of flower beds will decorate any garden. In order for the flower bed to bloom as long as possible, unpretentious perennials are needed, which will form the basis of the flower garden. Annual plants of sowing type allow to give the flower garden a new and fresh look from year to year. For the most impatient flower lovers, you need to provide primroses, among which there are not so many truly capricious plants.
All flowering shrubs bring a pleasant variety to the garden flora. They can also be used to decorate flower beds. They are planted as single plants and in small groups.
This green island contains extremely unpretentious plants. No one can say that he looks unkempt or unattractive.
Beauty from year to year: the most unpretentious perennials
When choosing perennials, they are guided by the maximum size of an already adult plant. Groups of such crops are made up according to their size and flowering time. In this case, it is necessary to take into account light, moisture and soil preferences. If watering can be difficult, then drought-resistant flowers should be chosen. Perennials, as a rule, do not need protection from frost and tolerate the summer heat well.
Plants can be planted in tiers so that the tallest ones create a backdrop for the undersized ones, or they can be the center from which the less tall flowers diverge in circles or rays. Even inexperienced flower growers are happy to plant the listed perennial flowers on their site:
- Pion. Blooming in late spring draws everyone's attention to this plant. In all subsequent time it will be just a green bush. A peony can please for 25 years without needing a transplant.
- Host. It is a beautiful plant with about 40 different species. Hosta flowers look like strange bells of lilac, purple or even white. Hosta leaves are distinguished by their special expressiveness and variety.
The article will help to determine the variety of hosts: https://diz-cafe.com/rastenija/xosta-v-landshaftnom-dizajne.html
- Sedum (sedum). A bushy compact plant with bright pink flower umbrellas will decorate a garden in Japanese or Chinese style. In such gardens, it looks especially organic because it comes from the countries of the East.
- Drainage basin (aquilegia). The catchment blooms in May-June. Since the 17th century, this plant has enjoyed universal love precisely because of its unpretentiousness. It is believed that aquilegia flowers are very fond of garden elves. The exquisite beauty of the plant conquers and inspires.
- Daylily, dicentra and astilbe. These three plants are united by a love of the shaded corners of the garden. Large openwork inflorescences and shiny foliage make these ornamental plants very attractive.
- Rudbeckia and Echinacea. Both plants have very similar flowers to multi-colored daisies. They will decorate the garden in summer and autumn. Among perennials, they are considered the tallest. This circumstance must be taken into account when placing them on a flower bed.
- Garden chamomile and feverfew. Chamomile blooms for a long time and does not require much attention and care. At the end of September, it reproduces independently by rhizomes. Unlike chamomile, pyrethrum flowers are brighter in color. However, chamomile is larger than pyrethrum.
- Primrose. This plant will provide a memorable early spring bloom. Primrose can grow in one place for a long time. After that, it must be dug up and planted.
Flowering shrubs will greatly decorate the garden. For example, hydrangea, forsythia, chubushnik (jasmine), Japanese quince, spirea, buldenezh and lilacs loved by everyone. Taking into account the difference in flowering periods, it is better to choose liverwort, lupine, lily of the valley, primrose and bergenia from the composition of perennials for spring beds. In summer, long and bright flowering will delight the purse, tiarella, sedum and daylily.
Peony, hosta, sedum and aquilegia. Take a look at these flowers and imagine how much they can make your garden and your life more beautiful and brighter.
Daylily, chamomile, feverfew, rudbeckia and primrose. A riot of colors and only positive emotions - this is what you can only dream of going on vacation after a working day
Only one summer we bloom ...
Annuals are often called simply annuals because they bloom throughout one summer. For the formation of carpet beds, it is these plants that are most suitable. With their help, they create those complex geometric patterns that delight others. Perennials grow over time, so they are not suitable for precise work. And one-year-olds can change accents and colors every year, revitalizing patterns and giving them new appeal.
Popular and most demanded annuals:
- Petunia. For flower beds, borders and even for decorating balconies, this plant is great. In addition to their pleasant appearance, petunias have a scent that is familiar to many from childhood.
- Nasturtium. An elegant orange gramophone flower and rounded nasturtium leaves look very positive. The color orange evokes, according to scientists, only positive emotions.
- Salvia. If there is a lot of sun and moisture on the site, then the salvia must be planted. Undemanding to any other factors, it will bloom your flower bed with red Christmas trees of inflorescences.
- Marigolds (calendula). Golden daisies of calendula not only serve as a wonderful decoration. It is also a noble honey plant. It is possible that this information will come in handy over time. How do you know?
- Marigold. Despite the fact that we are used to seeing these flowers literally everywhere, they amaze us every time with their varied and abundant flowers. Marigolds can grow in drought conditions and do not pay too much attention to the soil that they got.
Planting marigolds on seedlings allows you to create beautiful compositions in the garden at the beginning of summer, read about this: https://diz-cafe.com/ozelenenie/posadka-barhattsev-na-rassadu.html
- Astra and Erigeron. The real queens of autumn are asters. It echoes with its beauty erigeron (small-leaved), which is a perennial. Another perennial plant, chrysanthemum, does not lag behind.
Planting annual plants in spring should not be particularly tiring: routine work can ruin the entire effect of the result. Therefore, it is better to use seedlings rather than growing seedlings. If there is an opportunity to buy ready-made seedlings, this can make the process of creating a flower garden, which uses unpretentious annual flowers for the garden, not only easy, but also visual. The result will not have to wait long.
Petunia, Salvia and Nasturtium. Who would have thought that the flowers that we are used to seeing since childhood can be so beautiful. And nasturtium is just an embodied positive
Calendula (marigold), asters and marigolds. These plants have different periods of abundant flowering, but we have brought them together to show how beautiful your garden can be, regardless of the season.
Positive from a small onion
If someone decided to choose a leader among unpretentious flowers, he would stop at bulbous ones. Most of these plants are not embarrassed by shading, and insufficient moisture only stimulates the growth of their root system. However, with proper care, bulbs will respond to the gardener with such flowering that does not need advertising.
Lilies and gladioli. The plants stretched upwards seem to want to get closer to your face, so that you once again see how luxurious and fantastically attractive they are.
- Tulips. There are as many varieties of this plant as there are places for their use. With the elegance of their shape and brightness of colors, tulips conquered many flower growers. May and June are the time of their bloom.
You can learn how to plant tulips in spring so that they have time to bloom from the material: https://diz-cafe.com/ozelenenie/posadka-tyulpanov-vesnoy.html
- Daffodils, crocuses, muscari and hyacinths. All of these plants are early flowering. The only condition for their successful development is the absence of strong winds.
- Lilies. The most preferred position for a lily is when its upper part is in the sun, and the leg itself is in the shade. Abundant flowering and variety of varieties are its trademark. By the way, the lily does not tolerate excessive attention to itself: after planting it should not be disturbed for 3-4 years.
- Gladioli. A flower that, according to legend, grew out of a gladiator's sword, cannot be capricious. However, well-groomed flowers are noticeably different from those that are left to themselves. Gladiolus is a lover of the sun, abundant watering and loose loamy or sandy loam soil.
- Dahlias. Good air circulation is important for dahlias, but they don't like strong winds. But they need a lot of sun for their luxurious flowers. Planted in the right place, they will fully justify the legend according to which dahlias were once grown only in royal gardens.
The material on the rules for caring for dahlias will also be useful: https://diz-cafe.com/ozelenenie/uhod-za-georginami-osenyu-podgotovka-k-zime.html
Before planting plants, you need to stock up on minimal knowledge of their preferences. Correct placement of bulbs is the key to their successful growth and abundant flowering.
Daffodils and hyacinths, dahlias. Bulbous plants begin to bloom in early spring. Among the first to appear are daffodils and hyacinths. And dahlias will delight from August until late autumn
Picky biennial flowering plants
Biennials have also proven themselves well, the cultivation of which is available even for novice gardeners. Let's take a closer look at these plants.
- Daisies. Poets compare daisies to a pearl necklace. At one time, it was these flowers that even pushed the lilies on the national flag of France. Although the plant is perennial and is not afraid of winter cold, in culture it is grown as biennial flowers.
- Forget-me-nots. Surprisingly, in the languages of different peoples, the name of this flower has the same meaning! Blooming in early spring makes forget-me-not appropriate for any garden.
- Garden violet. Large flowers, which we used to call viola or pansies, do not leave anyone indifferent. They are beautiful and that says it all.
- Turkish carnation. Enchanting color, undemanding and long flowering make the Turkish carnation the leader among biennials that take root well in our gardens.
Daisies and forget-me-nots are flowers that can awaken love and endless tenderness in a person's soul. It's enough just to look at them without looking away.
Viola and Turkish carnation. Looking at these plants, you never cease to be amazed at the limitless fantasy of Nature, which created the world around us so diverse and charming.
As you can see, there are many unassuming plants. They can be a decoration for your garden too. But even the most unpretentious flowers for the garden require respect for their preferences and at least minimal maintenance. Therefore, you still cannot do without watering, weeding and feeding. But resistant plants are not afraid of pests, they are not afraid of diseases and winter cold, and they practically do not need pruning.
Rate the article:
(63 votes, average: 4.1 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Review of the most unpretentious long-flowering perennials for a summer residence and a garden with a photo
It may seem to novice gardeners that breaking up a flower garden and caring for it is too troublesome. But with the right crop selection, taking care of the flowers won't take much of your time. The buds will open from early spring to late autumn.
TOP-10 unpretentious long-flowering perennials with photos
When choosing perennials, one should focus on the maximum possible size of an already adult plant. Groups of such crops are formed by size and flowering time. In this case, it is necessary to take into account moisture, soil and light preferences. If watering can be difficult, it is recommended to choose drought-resistant specimens.
Aquilegia (catchment, orlik)
They grow in the front or middle of the flower row. They can reach 80 centimeters in height and spread up to 50 centimeters in diameter. They differ from their wild relatives by the number of petals on the flowers. Extremely hardy and resistant to all summer weather. The flowering period usually begins in June - July and, with proper plant care, continues until late autumn.
Seeds should be sown in moist compost in autumn or late spring. It can take three months for the seeds to germinate - during this time, keep a plastic-covered pot on a greenhouse shelf or window sill in your home away from direct sunlight.
Gardeners love aquilegia for unusual flowers and delicate foliage.
Unpretentious perennial shrub-type flower with a pleasant, special smell. Alyssum's typical colors are white, lilac, pink, yellow, purple and blue. Resistant to drought and heat, but grows best in partial shade. It blooms from spring to autumn.
To grow alissum, it is necessary to sow the seeds directly into the soil in warm spring or autumn. Another option is to grow seeds in a greenhouse or pots at home during the spring, and then plant flowers at a distance of 15 centimeters from each other.
An alpine slide or border is well decorated with alyssum
An extremely unpretentious undersized plant that can survive on any soil and with any watering.In late spring, it blooms with blue, white and pink flowers, collected in a long inflorescence. It does not fade for a long time and remains bright throughout the summer season.
Sowing seeds in open ground should be carried out in the spring, when the earth warms up enough, or in the fall - when it has not yet had time to cool down.
Groundcover Ayuga grows into a colorful carpet
Unlike many other perennial plants, verbena is not so hardy, therefore, to overwinter it must be covered with protective mulch. Easily spreads to the areas adjacent to the planting area. It has an attractive aroma and is in great demand among butterflies.
You can grow verbena from seeds. To do this, you need to plant them in pairs in pots at the end of winter or early spring. Leave containers in a bright, but not sunny window. After the sprouts have reached sufficient size, each plant should be placed in the ground in an open area at a distance of 25-30 centimeters from each other. With proper care, verbena can bloom until frost.
Active watering is contraindicated in verbena
A distinctive feature of this plant is a tower of blue star-shaped flowers and a low height - only about 30 centimeters. Grows well in containers, blooms for a long time (June to August).
In order to grow spiked Veronica in your garden, you need to choose a sunny spot with well-drained soil and place the seeds directly in the soil. It is recommended to do this in the second half of autumn, when the frost has not yet come and the soil has not become too cold. It is possible to plant seeds for seedlings in early spring, but in this case hardening of the seed material is necessary. And in fact, and in another case, the plants will bloom only in the second year of life.
Veronica spicata is used in folk medicine and to decorate flower beds
Due to its low height (only 10-15 centimeters), it is recommended to place a carnation along the front edge of the flower garden. To grow carnations, the seeds should be planted in trays in the fall and placed in a cold place. Upon the arrival of spring, transplant them to their final position in a sunny area. It is allowed to grow seeds in pots on a sunny window or in a greenhouse, followed by transplanting sprouts into open ground. The seedlings must be sufficiently developed for this.
The flowering period begins in early summer and lasts until the first cold weather.
Carnation is grown as an ornamental plant for the garden and for cutting
An amazing perennial with many varieties. Some varieties prefer moisture and are able to grow directly in water, and some do not require watering even on the hottest summer day. Flowers appear if the plant is in direct sunlight or in partial shade, they last for a long time. The time of their appearance depends on the specific type and variety of the flower (dwarf irises tend to bloom in spring, and tall ones - in summer).
You can plant irises in open ground in both spring and autumn.
Even evergreen varieties of iris are found in nature.
A flower with fiery spiers capable of growing up to 90 centimeters in height. It is recommended to place it in the middle of the flower garden. Blooms throughout the summer, tends to grow. He loves moisture, however, like most plants, he does not tolerate stagnant water in the roots.
Sowing seeds is recommended in March and early April.
Knifophia needs good drainage
An unpretentious flower plant that prefers sunny places. Blooms in summer for several weeks. The life of a flower is one day, but there are quite a few of them on long peduncles. If you remove wilted peduncles in time and feed the plant, then the daylily will constantly throw out new arrows. In remontant varieties, flowers appear until the onset of frost.
The daylily planting time is one of its advantages, because it covers the period from early spring to late autumn. If the cold period begins early in the region, then it is recommended to plant this flower at least a month before the onset of frost.
Mass flowering of daylily is observed in a well-lit area
Old varieties of this plant are extremely unpretentious, but among new cultivars, many require close attention. Peony blooms, as a rule, in late spring. Able to grow both in the sun and in partial shade. If at least a couple of hours a day direct sunlight will fall on the plant, then it will bloom beautifully in the shade. The more darkened the peony grows, the longer the period of its flowering lasts.
The optimal time for planting peonies in open ground is late summer-early autumn, but if necessary, they can be planted in spring.
Peonies can be both herbaceous and shrub forms.
Video: the most beautiful unpretentious perennials
It's nice when the area around the house is ennobled and decorated with flowers and outlandish plants. And it's not a problem if the site is small, you can equip a small and cute front garden on it: https://mydesigninfo.ru/palisadnik-svoimi-rukami/.
To decorate your garden with unpretentious plants, you need to remember that forming floral carpets with clear lines is best from annual plants. The overgrowth property of perennials can interfere with this effect.
Beautifully flowering perennials
Perennial plants are remarkable in that you do not need to worry about sowing them or growing seedlings every year. Moreover, from year to year they become prettier, growing and becoming more magnificent. If such a plant, moreover, is undemanding to conditions and care, this is a real find for an inexperienced or busy gardener.
Blooming aquilegias are adorable. Photo by the author
Bloom: from May to August.
Landing: spring (April-May) or autumn (September).
Height: 20-80 cm (depending on the type and grade)
Growing conditions: in partial shade on moist soils, aquilegia can also grow in the open sun.
Use in the garden: flower beds and flower beds undersized species can be used in shady rockeries, these plants look good on the banks of reservoirs.
Blooming aquilegias are adorable. However, even without flowers, neat bushes with openwork foliage look graceful and expressive, retaining their decorative effect throughout the season. Growing aquilegia seedlings is a rather troublesome occupation, but it is not difficult to acquire ready-made planting material and subsequently quickly propagate the plant.
Seeds of various aquilegia can be found in our catalog, which includes offers from many major online stores. Choose varieties of aquilegia.
In early spring or autumn, the overgrown bush is easily divided by divisions (with several buds on each) and immediately planted in a permanent place. If you do not remove the flower stalks and allow the seeds to ripen, aquilegia give abundant self-seeding, but in the hybrid, the characteristics of the variety do not remain, and over time you can become the owner of flowers of all kinds of shades. True, if you do not want to find them in the most unexpected places in your garden, it is better to keep the process under control.
Read more about aquilegia, their cultivation and placement in the garden in the articles:
- Graceful aquilegia - stars of shady areas
- An unusual June flower is aquilegia. The most beautiful and reliable varieties
- Let me introduce you: aquilegia
Astilba has attractive flowers and foliage. Photo by the author
Bloom: from June to September (depending on the species and variety).
Landing: spring (April-May) or autumn (September).
Height: 20-120 cm (depending on the type and variety).
Growing conditions: partial shade moist, permeable soil with a high organic content.
Use in the garden: group and single plantings in the sparse shade of trees and shrub thickets, on the banks of reservoirs, in flower beds, compact forms are suitable for container cultivation.
A wide assortment of astilbe is presented in our catalog, which combines the offers of large online stores of planting material and seeds. Choose astilbe for your garden.
I am sure that when you get to know Astilba better, you will fall in love with this wonderful plant. It is good in color and has attractive carved foliage that is spectacular on its own. Having picked up plants of different flowering periods, different colors or textures (and inflorescences can be dense or loose, paniculate or drooping, large or compact), you can create a fantastic flower garden from astilbe alone.
You can create an amazing flower garden out of astilbe alone. Photo by the author
This amazing plant is not touched by pests, it is extremely resistant to disease, and the only thing that is required when leaving is pruning wilted inflorescences. Watering may be required during dry summers, but this is not necessary in wet soils. Sometimes it is recommended to cover plants for the winter, but my astilbe, for example, hibernated without shelter - however, here it is worth focusing on the peculiarities of the species and climatic conditions.
Periwinkle is an unpretentious ground cover perennial, photo by the author
Bloom: April May
Landing: April-May or August-September.
Height: 5-20 cm (ground cover).
Growing conditions: partial shade or shade - heat and direct sunlight are contraindicated for this plant; soil is loose, fertile, without stagnant moisture.
Use in the garden: ground cover plant for shady corners of the garden.
In our gardens, periwinkle is more common (Vinca minor), which is found in European forests as a wild plant. On the basis of this species, numerous varieties have been bred, differing in various decorative features: some have especially large or double flowers, others have their unusual color (there are varieties of periwinkles with white, red and purple flowers), and others have variegated foliage. This type of periwinkle loves moisture and shade.
Various varieties of small periwinkle are presented in our catalog, which combines the offers of large garden online stores. Choose periwinkle.
However, if you purchased a large periwinkle (Vinca major) or varieties derived from it with larger flowers and leaves than those of periwinkle, please note that this Mediterranean guest prefers warm and dry areas.
Periwinkle grows quickly - this must be taken into account when planting. Its long shoots, touching the soil, root easily, and you can easily propagate this plant by cuttings if you wish.
Brunners grow well in partial shade. Photo by the author
Bloom: from the beginning of May.
Landing: spring (April-May) or August-September.
Height: 30-50 cm
Growing conditions: partial shade nutritious moist Brunner soil grows well on clay and loamy soils.
Use in the garden: under trees and shrubs, giving thin shade at the foot of fences and walls, along the banks of streams and reservoirs.
Delicate blue Brunner flowers in the spring garden create a joyful mood, enliven its shady corners. Having planted this plant once, you can later not worry about it for many years. The only thing is that it is advisable to immediately give him more space, since the brunner grows well in favorable conditions.
Breeders have bred variegated varieties - with silvery or creamy white patterns, spots or a border on the leaves. Keep in mind that such plants need protection from sunlight and strong winds - they are more demanding on conditions than the usual green-leaved brunner, which can only suffer from drought.
You can choose Brunner seedlings in our catalog, which combines the offers of large garden online stores. Choose Brunner varieties for your garden.